What does this mean for us at this point. Well really it doesn't mean anything we have certainly learned a lot more than we knew last week, but everything can change at a moments notice, or even at no notice at all. We are accepted to missions short term for now and we will soon find out where we are going and what we will be doing, but for now that is all we really know. We might not be able to raise the money. Between the down economy, kickstarters, youtube, friends, family, our own money, micro enterprise, the church, or anything else that we can think of to make money fundraising might not be enough. We are currently looking at South America and there is always a chance that we could be pulled out as soon as we arrive due to drug wars. There are a million things that could happen to us that would stop us from being able to serve abroad. There are a million things that could go wrong but everything only has a 50/50 chance.
Just as scary as the chance that something could go wrong is the chance that everything could go right. We could find ourselves in location that will require us to be there for our entire career as missionaries. We could find ourselves serving in a country that loves and celebrates our arrival. A location that takes care of us and we could have people who support us throughout the years. Rory could love living in the jungle, being home schooled, living on the mission field. We might never come back, it might be perfect. This chance is scary because we are fallen and the idea that the lord would bless us without us being deserving scares me. For those of us that fall into shame and despair, we don't understand how to accept the gifts from God. We will always be waiting for the other shoe to drop. I can read the bible I can accept the love of Christ and know that he died for my sins and that all has been forgiven and that no matter what I have done God will always be there for me. That doesn't me that there isn't still the chance that the other shoe may drop at any moment. I am learning to trust God more as I am unable and unwilling to stand ever ready for something tragic to happen. He will take care of my family and I know that, but the fear of both failure and success are still ever present.
I understand that as christians we are always on the mission field. I often think that all churches should have "You are now entering the mission field." on the overhang of the sanctuary doors just like the church in El Centro, who's floors I have ever so lovingly slept on for many years on my way into Mexicalli in early April, so that you see it every time you leave. But as some are called to the mission field in Detroit, others to Compton, some even in their own town, My wife and I feel called to international missions so that is where we are headed. God has blessed our path this far and we pray that he bless it further. For myself, my wife and my son we are looking at a potential year left here in America before we are able to head off on our adventure. This year will be packed, probably even more than the last and we can't wait.
No comments:
Post a Comment